Thursday, January 14, 2010

Enviromental Science Blog # 3: Reflection on Socratic Seminar

Having this Socratic Seminar in class was a big help to me in understanding the text and getting a different views from many of my classmates. For me reading long packets is quite difficult for me especially if they contain many big words that I am not use to seeing so having this seminar in class was a big relief because I got to ask clarifying questions on things that I didn’t understand as well as oppose questions for further explanations on why something is happening and how we can change this. Fortunately, my classmates are very smart and know how to explain things in ways that others can understand and I am grateful for that.
In the seminar we opposed two questions, one of the two included ‘should we get rid of junk food’? I love talking about food and nutrients and it had caught my attention. Growing up I have been fascinated with the percent of obese people around the world. While talking about banning junk food that can lead onto many other discussions such as, are they depressed? Eating food to most of obese people in America is an escape from reality. It “takes” all their problems away but once their problems come back it will then lead onto more eating of junk food which then causes obesity because these people are not limiting themselves and are just eating away. If Americans limit their eating habits of junk food and start going to buy fruits and vegetables from farmers market or local grocery stores it will then lead to positive feedback such as more jobs, like becoming a farmer and selling and harvesting their food that they grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment